Machine-readable Files and the Federal Transparency in Coverage Rule
Machine-readable files are available as required by the Federal Transparency in Coverage Rule. They include in-network negotiated rates and out-of-network allowed amounts. The machine-readable files are formatted to allow researchers, regulators and application developers to more easily access and analyze data.
Options for opening the JSON files:
- Windows: Notepad
- Mac: Apple TextEdit
- Download the file(s) and save as a PDF
BlueCross BlueShield of Alabama Link:
Below are steps that groups can follow in order to access pricing information required by the Transparency in Coverage rule.
- Click here to be directed to the Transparency in Coverage Rule webpage. This link titled “Price Transparency” can also be found at the bottom of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama webpage under section heading Legal.
- Once on the Transparency in Coverage Rule webpage, click on the link titled “Transparency in Coverage Rule machine-readable pricing files” to access the Table of Contents file.
- Click “accept” in the “Third Party Disclaimer” window to open the Table of Contents file.
- Search for the group Employment Identification Number (EIN).
- Once the group EIN has been located in the Table of Contents file, all corresponding “links” to the actual machine-readable data files will be listed.
- Copy each of the “links” and paste them into a browser in order to allow access to the pricing data for each of the “links” accessed.